The Year of the Children's Garden
The Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden has opened its gates, and the Arboretum has programmed The Year of the Children’s Garden initiative.
This celebration of the Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden’s inaugural year provides exciting programs that are presented by respected professionals in the field of nature and chaired by exceptional community leaders. Please continue to check back for exciting announcements about more activities celebrating the Year of the Children’s Garden such as Nature through the Lens: A Photo Contest Exhibition, and the culminating event,First Anniversary Adventures, a Celebratory Soiree for Adults in a Child's World.
Tuesday, July 22 | 10 a.m.-Noon | Alexander Camp House
Event Chair: Stefani Podvin
Elementary and Middle school students (Grades 1-8) will learn tricks of design for fun, whimsical, beautiful or out-of-this-world arrangement in this arts and crafts activity. Event is free, but registration is required.
Tuesday, July 29 | 6 p.m. | Rosine Hall
Adult Ticket: $5 | Child Ticket: $2 | Children under 3: Free
The Dallas Arboretum will host a family nature movie night to show the acclaimed Disneynature documentary Wings of Life. Narrated by Academy Award winner Meryl Streep, the film employs stunning imagery to showcase the unsung heroes of the world’s food supply, showcasing the relationship between flowers and the increasingly threatened bees, butterflies, birds and bats that enable plants to reproduce. Adding to the ambiance of a movie-going experience, snacks, such as $1 popcorn and $1 hotdogs, will be available for purchase. Adult tickets are $5, children are $2, and children under 3 are free. Purchasing tickets in advance is recommended, but tickets, if available, can be purchased on site.
September 14 | 3-5 p.m.
Chair: Marc Barta
High school and middle school photographers (grades 6-12) are invited to submit their work to the Student Photo Contest and Exhibition, which will be held in Rosine Hall on September 14, from 3-5 p.m. Submissions due by September 1.
Ribbons and other prizes will be awarded. In appreciation for their participation, students who submit a photo to Nature Thru the Lens and the teacher responsible for the student’s participation will be given six guest passes to visit the Arboretum during 2014.
As a special treat, internationally celebrated nature photographer David Gibson, whose work is exhibited in museums and galleries in Europe, Asia and the United States and is a favorite of collectors, will invite the top four winners of the contest for a conversation about photography in his studio. He will also have a limited exhibition of his work at the Arboretum in celebration of the student exhibit.
Please review the following rules before submitting a photo:
- This is a competition for students. The works submitted must be, insofar as possible, the exclusive work of the student. This is not a competition for parents or other older assistance providers. It is acknowledged that for some younger entrants a small amount of outside assistance may be necessary (for example, to properly size the digital file for submission). By submitting an entry, both the student and the parent or legal guardian represent and promise that the photograph complies with this rule.
- The student may use any type of digital camera to take the submitted photograph. Anything that will take a digital photograph and which the student is able to use without undue outside assistance is acceptable. Photographs must be in digital format. Only online entries will be eligible. No print or film submissions will be accepted for entry into this Contest.
- All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter as it appeared in the camera’s viewfinder. Nothing should be added to an image, and nothing should be taken away. Cropping and minor adjustments to color and contrast are acceptable, but no further manipulation of images is allowed.
- The submitted photograph should be in either a .jpg or .tiff format. The size of the digital file submitted via email (email@example.com) should not exceed 5MB . If submitted via the website, size cannot exceed 10MB.
- The student can submit only one photograph unless he/she has shot both in color and in black and white. In that case one of each is permitted.
For more information, contact Torie Parsons at 214.515.6520 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coming Soon – Ticketed Photo Stroll for Adults
If you would like to be personally notified of the date for this rare time to photograph the gardens without strolling guests, email Torie Parsons email@example.com.
Sunday, September 21 | 6 p.m.
Rory Meyers Children's Adventure Garden
Tables from $2,500 to $25,000
Event Chairs: Bettina and Daniel Hennessy
First Anniversary Adventures, a Celebratory Soiree for Adults in a Child's World will be a blast of a party celebrating the world-renowned Children's Garden. It's our turn to take to the garden without children in tow for exploring, playing, visiting, and great dining with musical entertainment throughout the evening.