People are our greatest asset, and our staff work tirelessly to assure that the visitor experience is an enjoyable one.
Our dedicated employees and generous volunteers have helped the Dallas Arboretum become one of the most outstanding display gardens in the United States. Below is a list of all current openings. Full-time positions offer benefit options including health, dental and disability coverage as well as vacation, holiday and sick pay.
We also have excellent opportunities in various departments for those desiring a hands-on internship experience.
Unless otherwise noted, you may apply for a listed position by faxing your resume and cover letter to 866.341.6878. Please indicate which position you are applying for in your cover letter. Most employment offers are made pending criminal and drug screens, as well as physicals and credit checks for certain positions.
Please contact the Human Resources Office at 214.515.6509 with any questions.
The Dallas Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PUBLIC EDUCATION MANAGER
The public education manager serves as a specialized teacher and a resource to both staff and volunteers. This person will focus on the areas that need the most science interpretation and interaction within the new and exciting Rory Meyers Children's Adventure Garden.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Help develop, initiate, train and conduct children's public activities, programs and exhibits within the garden
- Assist in the overall operational needs of the Children's Garden, i.e. opening, closing, etc.
- Ability to develop and implement successful and relevant educational activities related to nature and science
- Ability to walk the garden extensively during the day and engage the public in positive learning exhibits and activities
- Good organizational and program development skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to work as a cohesive team player
- Degree in education (preferably children's education)
- Five plus years experience in children's science is strongly desired
- Supervisory or oversight experience is helpful
This is a great opportunity to be an integral part of this dynamic new garden experience.
DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
The Director of Information Technology will manage a team (including third party vendors) that consists of IT Network Administration, IT Support Services, Database and Software Administration, Website Maintenance and Audio Visual Services.
IT Support Services includes:
- Helpdesk activities for all staff
- VOIP telephone system
- Property security systems
- Internet and computer needs for the exhibits in the Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden
Other Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Directing the day-to-day operations and maintenance of Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden networking technology systems.
- Planning, identifying and upgrading technology projects in a timely, efficient and cost effective manner
- Contributing to the team effort.
- Managing and overseeing all network systems performance, utilization and compliance with internal and legal regulations and guidelines on a daily basis.
- Working with third party vendors and internal staff for efficient operations to reduce/eliminate processing delays and ensure accuracy and timeliness of end product needs.
- Actively conducting and/or overseeing assignments requiring a high level of expertise or experience. Also includes effectively delegating and managing activities for continuity of services.
- Coordinating and implementing network software and hardware upgrades within approved budgetary guidelines and timelines, including ensuring systems security.
- Overseeing the successful functioning of voice, data and video equipment.
- Analyzing business and user requirements and making recommendations regarding design, development and functioning of web-based e-commerce and website applications.
- Working successfully with vendors, in-house clients, carriers and technical staff to coordinate equipment/software installation, relocation and removal and to ensure efficient network implementation, optimization and on-going maintenance.
- Troubleshooting and fixing system problems and service requests in a timely manner and providing high-level technical support for unresolved help desk issues.
- Establishing and monitoring appropriate goals and objectives for IT team and providing clear communication and direction to attain goals through effective planning and organization.
- Contributing to the development of an operating plan and budget as well as managing the budget set forth.
- Managing personnel to include determining workload and delegating assignments, training, monitoring and evaluating performance, ensuring prompt response to on-call requirements, and initiating corrective/disciplinary actions as necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with excellent and timely written and verbal communication skills across all coworker and management levels
- Excellent organizational, time management and follow-up management skills
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Management Information Systems (MIS) or related IT discipline is preferred
- Minimum of five years of previous management experience or leadership experience of IT Operations Services or Systems Infrastructure support staff
- Familiarity with Internet based audio visual services and locally housed audio visual systems
- Knowledge of Cloud/Internet based backup solutions
- Working knowledge of Cloud based Microsoft Office 365 platform and Outlook Protection for Exchange
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 operating systems and Microsoft Office 2007 platforms, as well as locally hosted Exchange 2010
- Working knowledge of Internet DNS functionality, Internet security certificate functionality and renewal process, IPv4 addressing schemas, local DNS/DHCP/Active Directory
- General knowledge of Cisco and related network infrastructure functionality, including Cisco Wi-Fi environments
- General knowledge of data and fiber optic standards and connectivity requirements
- Experience with vendor management, negotiating and executing vendor contracts, Service Level Agreements
- Working knowledge of virtualized server and storage area network environments
- Familiarization with network security and PCI compliancy requirements
- Knowledge of IT related disaster recovery best practices
- Familiarization with Cisco adaptive security appliance firewall functionality, abilities and limitations, as well as network address translation practices/standards
- Familiarization with Microsoft SQL database functionality and administration best practices
- General understanding of web design requirements and functionality in conjunction with third party website hosting services
- General knowledge of GSM and CDMA cellular usage and capabilities
- General understanding of point of sale transaction handling involving third party credit card clearing house services
- General understanding of functionality, capability and connectivity for automated parking control systems and variable message signage systems
Please submit a resume indicating desired position to email@example.com.
GARDENER | $9/hr
We are currently seeking experienced gardeners to perform general landscape maintenance and laboring duties in the gardens under the supervision of a crew leader or horticulturist.
- Ability to physically lift, bend and stoop repetitively to plant, weed and move plant material
- Capable of operating light duty power equipment
- Some irrigation knowledge is helpful
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English
- Availability to work in a weekend rotation
- Ability to interact with garden guests as appropriate
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions
- A minimum three years relevant experience is required
WATER FEATURE TECHNICIAN (CHILDREN'S GARDEN)
This person will be responsible for physically performing general and specialized maintenance and minor repairs to the Children’s Garden water features including fountains, pumps, ponds with fish and aquatic plants, and other related systems.
- Conduct water testing as needed and apply chemical treatment in accordance with industry standards and departmental policies
- Troubleshoot water feature system maintenance needs
- Fix minor issues or assist with coordinating vendors on maintenance and repairs to water features
- Maintain and properly store related equipment and supplies
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs and repetitively bend/stoop and move objects across property
- Must be able to read and understand maintenance user manuals, blueprints, and other related written documents
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English, work flexible hours, interact with garden guests as appropriate and be able to work in extreme weather conditions
- One year of experience in pool and /or water feature maintenance desired
SPECIAL EVENT FACILITATOR | $12/hr
We are currently seeking several energetic event coordinators. This is a wonderful opportunity for individuals looking for extra income who love the world of event execution, weddings, receptions, corporate functions, etc. Special event facilitators will assist the Events Managers at the time of the event by helping with the vendor arrivals, set up, actual event oversight and execution with the customer. Prior experience in this area is desired. Hours vary based on event schedules.
Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SIGN TECHNICIAN | $10/hr
The Dallas Arboretum is in need of a self-motivated, dynamic, part-time employee to produce signage for the gardens. The sign technician will design and cut signs as needed using a computer and Epilog laser system. This individual will work within the horticulture department, and will be responsible for creating plant signs as well as fulfilling sign requests from other departments. Great opportunity for retired or semi-retired individuals.
- Print labels for all departments, including horticulture, marketing and operations
- Aid project manager with bed measurements outside in the garden
- Assist with third party sign vendors in the Children’s Garden
- Maintain sign templates and create spreadsheets for the templates
- Position all signs in the garden and monitor their condition
- Oversee and document tree and bench dedication signage
- Create and maintain inventory of trees on property and other significant collections
- Competency with a PC, including but not limited to Corel Draw and Microsoft Suite
- Ability to learn to use the Epilog laser system
- Ability to work with small power tools to attach signs to stakes, repair metal holders, etc.
- Familiarity with various small tools, i.e. Rivet gun, drill, etc.
- Ability to multi-task and be strongly self motivated and organized
- Ability to work weekdays
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs; repetitively, bend/stoop, move across property, work in all weather conditions and follow approved safety guidelines
- Driver’s license required to operate garden vehicles if necessary
TEACHER FACILITATORS (Garden Gallery Facilitators) | $10/hr
Facilitators are needed to interact with guests in the educational garden galleries in our new Children’s Adventure Garden. Gallery Facilitators will actively engage and instruct the public. Teaching certificates or prior teaching experience, preferably with children, are desired.
This is a temporary position expected to last through early summer. Hours are between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Texas Teacher’s Aide Certificate desired
- Experience in pre-school/elementary school preferred
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time outside in the garden
- Must be able to work Saturday and Sunday
Criminal background checks will be conducted.
Please submit resume NOW to email@example.com.
DATA PROCESSING | $10/hr
This is a great opportunity for temporary employment during our beautiful spring festival. Ideal candidates will have good data processing skills in order to process memberships accurately and quickly.
Apply now in person, Monday-Friday, between 9 a.m.-noon at 8525 Garland Road.